Here are some ways to lower your child's risk of lead poisoning:
- Always wash your child's hands before eating, sleeping and after playing;
- Keep hands, toys, and pacifiers clean and free of dirt and dust;
- Keep your home clean and free of excess dust and chipping or aging paint;
- Wipe down floors, window sills, and places where children are;
- Always use a HEPA vacuum. HEPA vacuums trap lead particles and prevent them from being released into the air.
And be sure to give your child healthy foods! Lead absorption decreases when there is enough iron and calcium in a child's diet. To help protect their body from lead and make them stronger, serve them foods high in Calcium, Iron, and Vitamin C.