Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
• You can renew your passport up to 5 years past its expiration date if you have an adult passport (16 years and older).
• All children passports (under 16) must pay the processing fee each time they apply. All 5 year passports are not renewable.
Show All Answers
• A passport book can be used to travel anywhere in the world- by land, sea, or air. A passport card can only be used to travel by land or sea to Canada or Mexico.
• Note: Cruise lines differ in their requirements- if you are going on a cruise, contact the cruise line directly to ask about their document requirements.
• An adult passport (16 years and older) is valid for 10 years.
• A child passport (under 16) is valid for 5 years.
• In order to travel internationally, your passport must have at least 6 months remaining on it before it expires.
• After 5 years past the expiration date, you must start over and fill out a new passport application form (DS-11), NOT a renewal form. You will need to pay the $130.00 passport fee as well as the $35.00 processing fee, and you will need a valid ID (ex.: Driver’s License). You will also need to submit your expired passport.
• If you are applying for a passport with an out-of-state ID, you will need two forms proving who you are (ex.: social security card). You will also need to bring your expired passport book to use for your proof of citizenship.
• If you are unable to submit your expired passport, you will need to bring in your certified birth certificate and complete a lost or stolen passport form as well. Your birth certificate must have both your mother and fathers names on it along with a raised seal.
• If you have a Naturalization Certificate, you can use that for your proof of citizenship.
• Note: all original proof of citizenship documents will be sent away with your passport application and will be returned to you in 10-13 weeks.
• No matter what age you are, you must use a passport when you are flying out of the country to re-enter the United States.
• You may also use your passport when travelling by land or sea to Canada or Mexico. Other options: you can use your passport card or NYS Enhanced Driver’s License.
• If you are under 16 years of age and don’t have a passport book/card, you will only need your birth certificate when you travel by land or sea to Canada or Mexico. However, the adult(s) accompanying you will be required to have the proper documentation to re-enter the United States.
• If one parent is unable to be present, that parent must fill out the statement of consent form and it must be submitted with the child’s passport application. The absent parent must have their signature notarized, and provide a copy of the front and back of their driver’s license or non-driver ID.