Symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, skin, eye or throat irritation, allergic reactions, or breathing difficulties may occur after drinking water with elevated levels of toxins associated with Harmful Algal Blooms. These symptoms are very similar to symptoms from other gastrointestinal illnesses or allergic reactions. Stop drinking the water and seek medical attention if you or your family experience these symptoms.
Gastroenteritis, which may include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, and/or liver and kidney damage, has been reported in humans following short-term exposure to toxins associated with Harmful Algal Blooms in drinking water. However, more research is needed to fully understand the health effects.