Action and Reaction; Town of Locke Flood, 26 Oct. 2021
The town of Locke NY has experienced multiple flood events along Hemlock Creek (a DEC registered trout stream) downstream of the Bird Cemetery Rd bridge to the intersection with Owasco lake inlet east of Rt 38. The latest occurrence was 26 Oct 2021.
The town board believes it is their duty to cause corrective action to be completed as soon as possible.
Actions taken prior to the 26 Oct 2021 event:
Cayuga County Soil and water conservation district was contacted after a flood event in 2019 to develop a plan for remediation. CC SWCD contracted Hunt Engineers to develop that plan. In conjunction with DEC, DoT, US Army Corps of Engineers, OLWMC and Cayuga County emergency management office, a plan has been developed.
Actions taken subsequent to the Oct 26 2021 event:
- A state of emergency was declared 26 Oct 2021
- A meeting of stakeholders was held 02 Nov to discuss the situation
- An onsite meeting to observe conditions was held 05 Nov
- An emergency course of action was developed
- Impacted land owners were contacted, all have given consent to implement the plan
- Site access preparation has started
- An application for an emergency remediation work permit from the DEC has been applied for
- A meeting will be scheduled the week of 21 Nov. to determine what each stakeholder (not land owners) will contribute, their responsibilities, costs and payments.
Command and Control:
- The town of Locke is the lead agency.
- CC SWCD is the primary execution agency
Points of contact:
- Locke Clerk- 315-497-9338
- Acting Town Supervisor Thane Benson- 315-497-3427