- Health Department
- Programs & Services
- Seasonal Tips
The Cayuga County Health Department wants you to be healthy and active this Spring and Summer! Here are some tips to ensure that you and your family enjoy the warm weather safely!
Prevent Mosquito-Related Illnesses
Here are some tips to prevent mosquito-related illnesses. Avoid going outdoors when mosquitoes are most active (dawn and dusk), avoid places where mosquitoes are active, wear insect repellent and wear pants and long-sleeved shirts if the weather permits. Learn more about mosquito-related illness.
One way to Beat the Heat is to go swimming. It doesn't matter if you are in a back yard pool, public swimming pool or lake, adults need to take precautions to avoid injuries and drowning. Teaching children to swim is very important. If a child does not know how to swim, providing them with a personal flotation device (life vest) will help to prevent accidental drownings. When swimming in an area without a lifeguard, adults should pay close attention to children. Find out how to prevent drowning.
When you are in the sun, protect yourself by following these simple measures:
- Cover your head with a wide brimmed hat. Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants whenever possible.
- Use a sunscreen labeled "broad-spectrum" with a sun protection factor (SPF) rating of 15 or higher. SPF 15 blocks out 93% of UV rays, while an SPF 30 blocks out 97% of UV rays.
- Apply the sunscreen to dry skin 15 to 30 minutes before going outdoors and again after swimming or perspiring.
- One ounce of sunscreen, enough to fill a shot glass, is considered the amount needed to completely cover the exposed areas of the body.
- Avoid direct sun at midday, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m, when the sun's rays are strongest.