Homeless Veteran Resources

Housing & Urban Development: Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing

Housing and Urban Development: Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) is a coordinated effort by HUD, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and local housing authorities to provide permanent supportive housing for homeless veterans.

Under this program, veterans may be able to receive housing vouchers from the Auburn Housing Authority; eligibility is based upon a variety of factors, the most important of which is the need for supportive housing. The program includes two main components: financial help provided by the housing voucher, and comprehensive case management delivered by VA medical staff.

Veterans participating in the HUD-VASH program rent privately owned housing and generally contribute no more than 30% of their income toward rent

Soldier On

Soldier On is a private nonprofit organization committed to ending veteran homelessness. Since 1994, the organization has been providing homeless veterans with transitional housing and supportive services.

In 2010, Soldier On opened the first Gordon H. Mansfield Veterans Community, a permanent housing cooperative that provides formerly homeless veterans with safe, sustainable, affordable housing; transitioning them from homelessness to homeownership. This housing model will be replicated nationally as Soldier On continues to change the end of the story for homeless veterans throughout the country.

Chapel House

Chapel House is an advocate for the homeless population, not only providing emergency food and shelter, but working cooperatively with other community agencies to promote self-sufficiency, personal growth, and social responsibility.  you may reach Chapel House by phone at 315 255-1144 or email at info@chapelhouseshelter.org

Emergency Shelter After Hours Program

The Department of Social Services provides emergency housing placement in shelters throughout the county during non-business hours.

Details about the Emergency Shelter After Hours Program:

  • Address:
    Cayuga County Department of Social Services
    160 Genesee Street
    Auburn, NY 13021
  • After Hours Contact: 315-255-6272
  • Application Process: Call after-hours number
  • Eligibility: Currently in Cayuga County
  • Fees: No fee for service
  • Required Documentation: Photo ID

Syracuse Homeless Veterans Programs

The Syracuse Homeless Veterans Programs provides a Hotline that ensures that homeless Veterans or Veterans at-risk for homelessness have free, 24/7 access to trained counselors.

The Hotline assists:

  • Community agencies
  • Federal, state and local partners
  • Homeless Veterans and their families
  • Others in the community
  • Service providers
  • VA Medical Centers

Homeless Veterans Outreach

Outreach Workers connect with homeless Veterans staying in emergency shelters or living on the streets to help establish eligibility for VA medical care, conduct clinical assessments for services, and link Veterans to appropriate community resources. Learn more about the Health Care for Homeless Veterans (HCHV) Program by calling Syracuse Homeless Veterans Programs at 315-425-4400, ext. 53953.

211 Finger Lakes Region


211 Finger Lakes Region - 211/LIFE LINE provides information and referral for human services and crisis/ suicide prevention services serving Monroe, Wayne, Cayuga, Ontario, Livingston, and Seneca County. 211/LIFE LINE is committed to providing compassionate service for those struggling and in crisis.