- Public Works
- Weights & Measures
Weights & Measures
The Cayuga County Weights and Measures Department is mandated by the State of New York and is responsible for assuring measurement and pricing accuracy in the marketplace.
In Accordance with Article 16 and related New York State Agriculture and Markets Law, the department promotes equity and fairness in all consumer transactions involving weight, measure, count or pricing.
The weights and measures program is important to ensure confidence and fairness in the marketplace. The old Latin saying "caveat emptor" or "let the buyer beware" needs the effort of the Weights and Measures Department to protect both the buyer and the business owner. The buyer is assured that they get what they pay for and the business owner is assured of a marketplace based on fair competition.
The mission of the New York State Bureau of Weights and Measures and Cayuga County Weights and Measures Department is to promote equity in all commercial transactions based on weight or measure.
Inspected & Tested Commercial Devices
Weights and Measures annually inspects and tests all commercially used weighing and measuring devices for both accuracy and proper operation. NYS certified weights and measuring devices are used during these testing procedures. Some examples of inspected and tested commercial devices include:
- Computing, and pre-pack scales at supermarkets, bakeries, delis, and fish / butcher shops
- Courtesy inspections - Noncommercial devices for institutions such as schools (nurse and athletic departments), hospitals, adult care facilities, or physician offices
- Devices used to measure the length of hardware goods - Rope, chain, and wire
- Farm bulk milk tanks
- Fuel oil, gas, diesel, kerosene, and propane delivery vehicle tank meters
- Heavy-duty vehicle scales at sand / gravel yards, recycling centers, salt plants, lumber mills, and salvage yards
- Petroleum pumps at gas stations, convenience stores, truck stops, and marinas
- Platform / hopper scales at wineries, coal yards, salt plants, propane sales, and farm / produce locations
- Scales used for buying gold, silver, precious metals, coins, and jewelry
- Timing devices - Car washes / vacuums, clothes dryers, and tire inflation air pumps
Petroleum Quality Program
Cayuga County Weights and Measures also participates in the New York State Petroleum Quality Program. This involves collecting gasoline and diesel fuel samples yearly, on a random basis, throughout Cayuga County. These samples are then sent to an independent contract laboratory for chemical testing and analysis. These tests assure that the fuel purchased by the consumer meets all appropriate quality / octane standards and that fuel dispensers are properly labeled.
The next time you are at the grocery store or gas station, take a minute to notice the date stamped blue or yellow weights and measures inspection seal on the computing scale or fuel pump. This seal indicates that the device has been inspected, tested, and is accurate. Most importantly, it guarantees that you are getting what you pay for.
Certified Standards - Equipment, Weights & Measurement Devices
All official test weights and measuring devices used by Weights and Measures must be recertified by the New York State Weights and Measures Laboratory in Albany.
Questions / Complaints
Weights and Measures will respond to consumer questions or complaints regarding short weight / measure or motor vehicle fuel quality by investigation and / or testing as the situation demands. If you have questions or comments, please contact the office