Temporary Assistance

What is Temporary Assistance?

Temporary Assistance is temporary financial help for needy men, women and children. If you are unable to work, can’t find a job, or your paycheck does not meet your everyday expenses, TA may be able to help you.

Types of Assistance

  • Emergency Assistance: for households that are facing emergencies through no fault of their own, due to a sudden and unexpected event or loss of income
  • TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families): for households with children
  • Safety Net Assistance: for single people or couples without children (there is a 45-day wait for assistance in this program)
  • Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP): a one-time benefit program designed to help low-income households pay for their energy costs. This program generally runs from November to March

Am I eligible?

 To check potential eligibility, you may go to mybenefits.ny.gov or visit DSS and speak to a worker.

Non-Parent Caregivers (Grandparents, Other Relatives, Friends) Caring for Children

Non-parent caregivers, who are caring for children without a parent living in their home, may be eligible for Temporary Assistance. Temporary Assistance for children not living with a parent is often referred to as “non-parent caregiver” or “child-only” grants, and includes Medical Assistance (MA). If the non-parent caregiver wants assistance only for the children, the non-parent caregiver’s income is not used to determine eligibility and there are no Temporary Assistance work requirements for the non-parent caregiver. Non-parent caregivers may apply for temporary assistance at their local social services office.

In addition to financial assistance, non-parent caregivers (also called kinship caregivers) often have a need for information and assistance related to food stamps, the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), custody, guardianship, foster care, adoption, schooling, school enrollment, and other forms of assistance such as child care, social security, respite, case management and service programs.

For information about services and assistance programs please visit the following websites:

The NYS Kinship Navigator’s website offers legal fact sheets, state and local kinship resources, and other information. In addition, the Navigator operates a toll free phone line at 1-877-454- 6463. Kinship Specialists are available from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. A message may be left during non-business hours and calls will be returned when business hours resume.

The NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA).

MyBenefits is an online tool to help you learn about eligibility for financial assistance and other benefit programs. A simple, 10-minute prescreening from any computer with Internet access at any time, determines whether you are likely to qualify for Food Stamps, HEAP, the Earned Income Tax Credit, child dependent care credits, school lunch and other programs.

Adverse Childhood Experiences Adverse childhood experiences (also known as ACEs) are stressful or traumatic events, such as neglect and/or violence. ACEs are strongly related to brain development and a wide range of health problems throughout a person’s lifetime. ACEs may include but are not limited to physical or sexual abuse, domestic violence, living in poverty, parental mental illness, discrimination, substance use disorder or incarceration. For more information click on the links. Understanding Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)

The NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) provides contact information and links to the Kinship Caregiver Programs funded through OCFS, as well as a variety of resources for families and staff, including the Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program (KinGAP), a subsidy program available to kinship caregivers who are foster parents.

Your local Social Services District (SSD) and local area Office for the Aging (OFA) are also resources for information on kinship care.

  1. Temporary Assistance

    Physical Address
    160 Genesee Street
    3rd floor
    Auburn, NY 13021

    Fax: (315)253-1505


Our normal hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and in July and August we are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

For further information please call 315-253-1011

Fax (315) 253-1505