Code Enforcement Office

CEOCode Enforcement Officer:

Jonathan Anna

Phone: (315) 947-5666 X 27

Tuesdays & Thursdays 9am - 4pm

Town of Sterling - Permits, Inspections, and Zoning

Building Permits:

The Building Permit function includes the enforcement of the Building Code of New York State, and local laws and ordinances dealing with building construction, renovations (interior and exterior), and building demolition and removal.

Examples of projects that require a permit:

  • Any new buildings
  • All additions and/or alterations to existing buildings
  • Mobile homes
  • Garages and barns
  • Pools (above ground or in ground)
  • Sheds and storage buildings (more than 144 sq ft)
  • Decks and Porches
  • Demolition

Building Permits are received at the Code Enforcement Office between the hours of 9:00am and 2:00pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. You may mail your application to the Town only if you have completed all the required information. Please indicate if you would like the Building Permit mailed back to you.

Building Permit applications require a sketch/drawing showing what is being built, where on the property it is being built, a complete materials list and who is doing the construction. Stamped and signed architectural prints may be required. All contractors are required to provide proof of NYS Workers Compensation.  

Building Permit applications and plans are reviewed by a Code Enforcement Officer to ensure that they meet the requirements of the Building Code of New York State and other applicable laws and ordinances.

 View Building Permit Forms and Resources

Building Inspections:

Building Inspections are required during each stage of construction to ensure compliance with construction codes and building plans. Inspections are required at the following stages:

  • Footings before back filling
  • Foundation wall before back filling
  • Fireplace before insulating
  • Framing before enclosing (after electrical inspection is approved)
  • Heating, Ventilation and Air-conditioning before enclosing
  • Insulation before enclosing
  • Fire Protection equipment before enclosing
  • Final (Certificate of Occupancy) upon completing of all other inspections.

Inspections should be requested at least 24 hours before the inspection is necessary, call or email the Code Enforcement Department at (315) 947-5666 x27.

Electrical inspections are performed by a private company, and are often a part of your building or electrical contract. If you need to contact them directly, the Town of Sterling accepts inspections performed by Commonwealth Electrical Inspection Service, Inc. (315)633-0027, Middle Department Inspection Agency 1(800)873-6342, or a licensed Electrical Inspector of your choice.

Zoning Compliance:

Common Code Violations:

Lawn and lot maintenance: Nuisance weeds and grass that is greater than 10 inches in height.

Junked or abandoned vehicles: One unlicensed and/or unregistered vehicle is allowed on your property as long as it is operable. Inoperative vehicles are not allowed.

Waste materials and trash: Rubbish, trash, garbage, and other waste materials may be stored only in proper receptacles.

Unsafe buildings: Buildings that are abandoned, opened and accessible to children or transients must be boarded up, repaired, or demolished.

Fire/Life Safety Inspections:

All commercial and multiple residential buildings require periodic fire/life safety inspections for compliance with the Building Code of New York State. We perform annual inspections on all commercial buildings and places of public assembly and periodic inspections of all multiple residences.

Permit Applications:

Zoning and Planning Board:

Other Forms: