You must have a face to face interview to receive temporary assistance benefits. A completed Temporary Assistance application must be submitted before you can have an interview and all adult applicants must be interviewed. Interviews are conducted on the 3rd floor of the Cayuga County Office Building Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-2 p.m. for non-immediate needs/ emergencies. Immediate needs /emergencies can be met after the 2:00 pm cutoff.
As a condition of eligibility, every adult applicant must attend a mandatory one-time orientation meeting. These are typically held twice a week and the applicant will be scheduled to attend.
TANF cases will be processed within 30 days of the eligibility date (date of interview).
Safety Net cases have a 45 day wait, or a 45-day period in which the applicant is not eligible for Temporary Assistance benefits. The case cannot open until at least 45 days from the date of application. (SNAP can be issued during this period, and certain emergencies may be able to be addressed).
Below is a list of documentation you should bring to your interview. (if it applies)
- shelter verification form/statement regarding any other living arrangement
- deed, taxes, interest on mortgage, fire insurance, water/sewer
- utility and/or fuel bills
- pay stubs for the current calendar month.
- proof of all unearned household income (social security, veteran’s, worker’s comp, child support, unemployment benefits, disability, child care, etc.)
- savings, checking, current bank statements on each account
- car title or registration for all vehicles, on or off the road
- other vehicles (boats, snowmobiles, etc.)
- verification of health insurance premiums/copy of insurance cards
- pregnancy verification
- birth certificates, social security cards, and marriage or divorce verification for all applying persons