Originally known as "King's Settlement"
Settlers began arriving around 1797 to this site, named after "Phillip King", a Revolutionary War Veteran, whom is now buried off the small cemetery on Maiden Lane, was the first name acquired to this area. Later, the name changed to "Bucksville" after Aholiab Buck, whom owned land on the Pine Street area, he built the earliest known Mill's in the area.
In 1825, "Bucksville" was changed to what we know it as today, "Port Byron".
There are two stories that have been told referencing the name change to "Port Byron". The first, Lord Byron, a Poet from England, he supposedly rode through the area on the Canal. The other story told the name change was honoring a man named Byron, whom owned a dock on the Canal. However, neither story has been proven.
The Village of Port Byron was incorporated in 1837. Later, when the Erie Canal was re-routed, the Village became a railroad town.
The Village of Port Byron is a historic settlement in Cayuga County, in the Town of Mentz is home to about 1,290 residents, recorded by the 2010 Census.