Our Town

Town of Sterling Assessment Office:
315-947-6262 X25 (Lezli) or
315-947-6262 X24 (Beckie)
Hours: Monday & Thursday
9am ~ noon, 1pm ~ 4pm

Lezli Parsons: NYS Certified Assessor
Beckie Hendricks : Assessor's Assistant
email: assessorlparsons@gmail.com

2018 Sterling Final Roll

FINAL ROLL: July 1st
GRIEVANCE DAY: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 from 4 ~ 8pm by appointment

The Assessment Office:
  • Has a variety of informational pamphlets available.
  • Exemption Forms also available for printing - click here Forms
  • The assessor is available to answer questions, explain your property assessment, help with Exemption Forms, etc.
  • Aerial Tax Maps for viewing
  • Tax Rolls
  • Has detailed records on every parcel in the Town of Sterling

    Helpful Informational Links:

  • New York State Office of Real Property Services :     www.tax.ny.gov/research/property/default.htm
  • Cayuga County Real Property Services:     http://www.cayugacounty.us/CountyGovernment/RealProperty.aspx


    The Basic and Enhanced STAR benefits save most New York homeowners hundreds of dollars.
    That being said, the STAR Exemption Program is now CLOSED to new applicants.
    However, you may be eligible for the STAR Credit Program.
    If you are a new applicant and you meet the eligiblity requirements, you’ll receive a check for the amount of your STAR savings.

    If you have an existing STAR exemption, you may need to reapply for one of the following reasons:
  • You are receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption and have not enrolled in the Income Verification Program.
  • You are receiving the Basic STAR exemption and wish to apply for the Enhanced STAR exemption.
  • You need to update a change in ownership due to:
         divorce       survivorship       trusts         life estates

    Who should register
    You should register for STAR if you:
  • bought your home after the 2015 STAR application deadline;
  • never applied for the STAR benefit on your primary residence; or
  • received a letter advising you to register for Basic STAR.

    Note: You do not need to register for STAR if you are a longtime homeowner with an existing STAR exemption.
    See STAR Exemption Program for more information.

    How to register
    When you register for the STAR credit, the Tax Department will automatically review your application to determine
    whether you are eligible for the Basic or Enhanced STAR benefit amount.
    (Senior citizens receiving STAR may also be eligible to apply for the Senior Citizens Exemption. Learn more )

    Complete your registration online — in minutes
    You'll need to:
  • Provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and their spouses.
  • Answer a few questions about the income and residency of the owners and their spouses.
  • Provide the date you purchased your property and the name of the sellers.

    Assessment FAQ's
    • Q: When does my (e.g., Agricultural, Veteran's, Senior Citizen's, Disability) exemption form need to be submitted?

    • A: The exemption filing deadline is March 1st of each year. This means that the Town of Sterling Assessment Office must RECEIVE the completed form and any required supporting information by March 1st.
    • Q: When is the best time to talk to the Assessor about the assessment on my property?

    • A: The Assessor welcomes your questions anytime. The assessment process is meant to be a collaborative effort between property owners and the assessor. Information regarding your house or property is helpful for the assessor to make a fair and equitable assessment. This can include pictures, appraisals, sale information, MLS listings, purchase offers, information regarding the correct inventory (bedrooms, bathrooms, sheds, garages, porches, etc.)or anything else that you may deem important for the assessor to know about your property.
    • Q: If I don't agree with my assessment, is going to Grievance the only way I can do anything about it?

    • A: No, the best thing to do is to make an appointment to talk to the assessor before May 1st (tenative roll date). You will need to provide supporting evidence as to why you don't agree with your assessment.
      If after you have met with the assessor, you cannot come to an agreement, then your next step would be to file a Grievance with the Board of Assessment Review.

    • Q: When is Grievance Day?

    • A: Grievance Day is most always the 4th Tuesday in May for the Town of Sterling. For 2018, Grievance Day will be Tuesday, May 22, from 4pm ~ 8pm.

      IF YOU CHOOSE TO APPEAR BEFORE THE BAR, YOU MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT PRIOR TO GRIEVANCE DAY. You may call the Sterling Assessment office on the following dates and times to schedule an appointment for Grievance:
      You must speak to a live person in the office to make an appointment.

      Those who come to grieve without an appointment will be heard after all those with appointed times or on a seperate date.
      All Complaint Forms and supporting documents must be delivered to the Assessment Office prior to Tuesday, May 22th at 4pm. This will expedite the process.
      Download your RP-524 Complaint on Real Property Assessment here. It must be completed prior to Grievance Day and delivered to the Assessment Office along with all suppporting documents whether you choose to appear before the BAR or not.
      If your form is incomplete or filled out incorrectly, your complaint may be dismissed by the Board of Assessment Review. There are instructions available on the ORPTS website or click here Sample Complaint Form with helps
    • Q: Why did the assessor raise my taxes?

    • A: The assessor's job is to present an equitable tax roll; assessors cannot and do not raise or lower your taxes. The assessor places an assessment (the market value) on your home/property. Taxes rates are determined by the Village, Town, County and School budgets & subsequent levy.
      If you feel your taxes are too high, you should be speaking with your village board members, your town board members, your county legislature and your school board members.
  • Home    Government    Our Town    FAQ's    Forms    Links    Departments    Laws    Fees