Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
A child can get lead poisoning by swallowing or breathing in lead. Oftentimes children are poisoned by lead dust.
Since many young children spend a lot of time on the floor where lead dust collects, they can end up poisoning themselves when they put their hands and toys with lead dust on them in their mouths.
Show All Answers
Lead is a metal found in the earth and it is a poison. For years lead was used in paint, gasoline, plumbing and many other items. Lead paint was banned from home use in 1978. If you live in a home built before 1978, there could be lead paint and dust in your home.
If a child becomes poisoned by lead it can cause problems with a child's growth, behavior and ability to learn.
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you should have your child tested for lead.