Generally there are three types of pistol permits:
- Carry Concealed: without regard to employment or place of possession
- By any person when “proper cause” exists for the issuance thereof according to Article 400 of the NYS Penal Law
- To carry with listed restrictions
- Possess On Premise:
- Have and possess in a dwelling by a homeowner only
- Have and possess in one place of business by a merchant or storekeeper ONLY
- Carry Concealed / Employment with regard to employment
Proper Cause Form
Those applicants applying for a Carry Concealed Pistol License must be able to demonstrate a special need for the issuance thereof by completing the required “proper cause” supplemental form. No permit will be issued without the form.
Those applicants who desire a pistol license for the purpose of sportsman activities such as hunting, target shooting, competitions, hiking, camping, collecting, etc, will be issued a Sportsman Restriction on their license.
Possess on Premise
Those applicants who desire a Possess on Premise License must understand that this is not a carry license and restricts the possession of the handgun(s) to the dwelling address or place of business address as listed on the application. If this address should change, the application process will begin again with all fees applicable.
Permit for Job
Those applicants wishing a carry concealed permit for their jobs must have a letter from their employer stating that they require the individual to carry during the performance of his/her duties. The restrictions on the license will appear as Employment.