Why is lead a problem?

If a child becomes poisoned by lead it can cause problems with a child's growth, behavior and ability to learn.

Lead dust as small a grain of sand can be enough to poison a child. This can cause:

  • Brain and nervous system damage
  • Learning and behavior problems
  • Slowed growth and development 
  • Hearing and speech problems

This can:

  • Lower a child's IQ
  • Make it hard to learn and pay attention
  • Lead to underperformance at school

Show All Answers

1. What is lead?
2. Where can lead be found?
3. How does a child become poisoned?
4. Why is lead a problem?
5. Is your family at risk of lead poisoning?
6. How can I prevent lead poisoning?
7. Are pregnant and lactating women at risk for lead poisoning?