How does a child become poisoned?

A child can get lead poisoning by swallowing or breathing in lead. Oftentimes, children are poisoned by lead dust. 

Since many young children spend a lot of time on the floor where lead dust collects, they can end up poisoning themselves when they put their hands and toys with lead dust on them in their mouths. Lead can also pass from a mother to her baby during pregnancy. 

Children 6 and younger are the most at-risk of lead poisoning. Their bodies and brains are more sensitive because they are still growing. The good news is that lead poisoning can be prevented. 

Show All Answers

1. What is lead?
2. Where can lead be found?
3. How does a child become poisoned?
4. Why is lead a problem?
5. Is your family at risk of lead poisoning?
6. How can I prevent lead poisoning?
7. Are pregnant and lactating women at risk for lead poisoning?