Fan Wort (Cabomba caroliniana)
Fanwort. Robert Johnson, Cornell University. Ruthanna Hawkins, Cayuga Lake Watershed Network. Used with permission.
Fanwort Drawing, University of Florida, Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants Line Drawing DVD Master. Used with permission.
- Plant Characteristics
- Submersed, floating perennial
- Submersed leaves are green, whorled and resemble a fan
- Fan-shaped leaves on short stalks arranged in opposite pairs.
- Small oval floating leaves are sometimes present
- Slender jello-like stem with a "tubular" appearance
- Sometimes the plant can look reddish
- Fiberous silvery roots
- Small white flowers with pink tinge bloom in fall
- Reproduction occurs by seeds or fragmentation
- Can be found in lakes, ponds and quiet streams