Niles Grievance Day for 2020 is scheduled for Thursday, May 28th 4-8pm. This year we are faced with some special issues brought about by the global pandemic of Covid-19. We are taking the following steps to attempt to ensure the safety and health of all involved and at the same time protect the rights of property owners under the Real Property Tax Law.
Therefore, Grievance Day will look a little different this year. Below is what has been recommended:
1. The public will not be permitted into the Town Hall. We ask that all RP-524 Grievance Forms be filed by mail, email, or placed in a designated drop box at the Town Office by Tuesday, May 26th. Grievance material will be distributed to all BAR members prior to phone conference appointments.
2. A phone or video chat appointment will be set up with the BAR between 4 – 8pm on Thursday, May 28th for anyone that pre-files. The property owner will receive notification of the phone number to use to call in and an access code to connect to the BAR meeting, so please include an email address and phone number on the application.
We are encouraging applications to be remitted by email to email@example.com
NOTE: If you do not wish to have a teleconference with the BAR and would just like to submit your grievance for review – please notate that on the grievance application.
3. There will be a drop box at the Town Hall for walk-ins on the day of grievance. A date will be designated a day or two after Grievance Day, to reconvene and have a conference call which will allow time for the assessor to scan documents or make copies and distribute to the BAR members.
- ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN 8PM on May 28th.
- All properly completed RP-524 forms (Grievance Forms) must be SIGNED by the property owner (part five of the form). All supporting documents and information that the Board of Assessment Review is to consider must be included with your RP-524 form. Property owners will be notified by US POSTAL MAIL of decisions made by the Board of Assessment Review no later than June 30.
- The RP-524 form can be found at: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/orpts/rp524_fill_in.pdf
The RP-524 instructions can be found at:
Contact the Assessor Tammy Schramm via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 315-253-1092 for further assistance