Mentz

Town Sign

The Town of Mentz is located in Central Cayuga County, New York. The town was formed in 1802 as the "Town of Jefferson" from the town of Aurelius while still part of Onondaga County. In 1808, it assumed its current name. 

The first permanent settlers arrived in 1810, although others had attempted to settle the area previously.

In 1837, the community of Port Byron set itself apart from Mentz by incorporating as a village.

The Erie Canal was moved to include the Seneca River in 1856.

In 1859, part of the town was used to form the towns of Montezuma and Throop.    

 There are a number of people who can trace their roots back to Port Byron or who settled here for a while. Before he was a leader of the Mormon faith, Brigham Young lived here in the early 1830s. He was a painter and builder. One of the early buildings he lived in still exists on Pine Street. Henry Wells of "Wells Fargo" fame also lived here in the early 1830s. We can trace Isaac Singer of sewing machine fame here in 1837.     Opera singer Richard Bonelli was born here as Jacob Bunn.

The New York State Thruway (interstate 90) crosses the town, following along the original path of the Erie Canal. New York State Route 31 (east-west) crosses New York State Route 38 at Port Byron.

Coordinates: 43°2′25″N 76°37′44″W

Town Hall

Documents

August 2019

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
28 29 30 31 01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
  1. Mon Sep. 2

  2. Tue Sep. 17

  3. Tue Oct. 15

View All