- Review property transfers and verify sales data to be used in the assessment process
- When property is split, merged or has a portion of it sold or transferred, the assessor reviews the paperwork and assigns an assessed value to the new portions
- New construction and renovations are reviewed and assessed values are assigned to them
- Real Property Tax Exemptions are administered by this office also
The most common property exemptions available to qualified property owners include:
- Agricultural Exemption - (RP-305) - Must qualify and renew yearly.
- Basic Star Exemption - Beginning March 1, 2015 new applications for this exemption are being administered by New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. To register with them call 518-457-2036 or visit the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website.
- Business Exemption - (RP-485-B) - Applies to new construction or remodeling of an existing structure. This exemption is phased out over a 10 period. Must qualify.
- Enhanced Star Exemption - (RP-425-E) - Must be 65 years by December 31st and have income under $86,000. Yearly renewal required.
- Low Income Disability - (RP-459) - Yearly renewal required. Must submit one of the following with application:
- Award letter from Railroad Retirement Board
- Award letter from Social Security Administration
- Certificate from State Commission for the Blind and Visually handicapped
- Senior Citizen Exemption - (RP-467) - Must be 65 year or older, income must be under 25,000 inclusive of social security income. Yearly renewal required.
- Veterans Exemption - (RP-458-A FOR ALTERNATIVE VET or RP-458-B FOR COLD WAR VET) - When applying a copy of form DD214 must be turned in with the application. No renewal required each year.
Important Office Dates
Important office dates include:
- January 1 - Town and County taxes become due
- March 1 - Taxable Status Date
- May 1 - Tentative Roll
- May 25 - Grievance Day
- July 1 - Final Roll
- September 1 - School taxes are due
For questions, call 315-253-1270 or email Tammy Schramm.