Public Water Supplies
This program's goal is to minimize potential health hazards related to public water supplies by enforcement of Part 5, Subpart 5-1 of the New York State Sanitary Code.
This program provides services in the following areas:
- Works to ensure that public water systems are in compliance with Part 5 of the NYS Sanitary Code.
- Investigates reports of water-related illnesses.
- Issues Boil Water Notices and other advisories when necessary.
- Provides technical assistance to water suppliers regarding water quality and water treatment.
- Assists water suppliers in the creation of their Annual Water Quality Reports (AWQR).
- Conducts inspections of public water supplies and issues written reports.
- Responds to complaints regarding public water supplies.
- Approves water system operators as per Subpart 5-4.
- Enforces the NYS Sanitary Code SubPart 5-1 Public Water Systems.
- Reviews and approves plans for water system improvements following the latest edition of the Recommended Standards For Water Works (10 State Standards).
- Performs enforcement actions for violation of public water supply regulations.
Documentation Related to Boil Water Order
- All Consumers Basic Questions - FAQ
- Boil Water Checklist for Hospitals and Resident Medical Facilities (PDF)
- Boil Water Checklist for Medical Offices (PDF)
- Boil Water Checklist for Residents and Homeowners (PDF)
- Boil Water FAQs for Food Services (PDF)
- Boil Water FAQs for Hospitals and Resident Medical Facilities (PDF)
- Residents and Homeowners - FAQ
- Water Utilities Fact Sheet (PDF)
- 2017 Emergency Plan Model (DOC)
- Appendix 5-B Standard for Water Wells
- Appendix 5-D Standard for Wells Serving Public Water Systems
- Application for Renewal of Certification (PDF)
- Certified Lab List
- Emergency Authority (PDF)
- List of Certified Backflow Testers
- NYS Sanitary Code SubPart 5-1 Public Water Systems
- PWS Completion Certification (PDF)
- Revised Total Coliform Rule Level 1 (PDF)
- Revised Total Coliform Rule Level 2 (PDF)
- Revised Total Coliform Rule Reference Guide (PDF)
- Standard Operating Procedures Template (DOC)
- Water Conservation Order Template (DOC)
- Water System Operation Report (PDF)
- Application for Approval of Backflow Prevention Devices
- 3Ts for Reducing Lead in Drinking Water in Schools - EPA
- American Water Works Association
- Cayuga County Water Quality Management Agency
- Cross Connection Control Manual (PDF)
- Disinfection of SEMO Tanker (PDF)
- New York State Department of Health Cross Connection Control Program
- New York State Department of Health - Drinking Water
- NYSDOH Public Water Supply Forms
- The Value of Water Brochure (PDF)
- Lead In Drinking Water - EPA
2017 Annual Water Quality Reports for Cayuga County
As required by law, the community public water systems within Cayuga County publish an Annual Water Quality Report (AWQR). The AWQR answers many of the questions you may have about your water.