The Criminal Investigations Division (CID) is responsible for criminal investigations conducted by the Cayuga County Sheriff’s Office and for providing investigative support to the Patrol Division.
The members of CID primarily investigate felony level crimes that include:
- Grand Larceny
- Narcotics Sales and Possession
- Serious Assaults
- Sex Offenses
Detectives assigned to CID receive specialized ongoing training in the related areas of criminal investigation.
Along with day to day investigative responsibilities, members of CID are responsible for overseeing a number of specialty areas of law enforcement within Cayuga County. These areas include:
- Domestic Violence - Completing follow up investigations in domestic violence cases.
- Employment Screening - Conducting employment background investigations.
- Financial Crimes - Conducting complex investigations into financial exploitation and theft.
- Juvenile Investigations - Investigating crimes involving juvenile suspects.
- Prostitution and Related Crimes - Conducting investigations into Vice offenses related to prostitution and human trafficking.
- Sex Crimes - Investigating all reports of sexual abuse involving adults and children.
- Sex Offender Management - Supervising and tracking designated sex offenders.
The Criminal Investigations Division works closely with other law enforcement agencies at the Federal, State, and Local level as well as the Cayuga County District Attorney’s Office. Support is also provided by Detectives in CID to the Finger Lakes Drug Task Force, a multi-jurisdictional area task force conducting narcotics investigations.