Beginning July 17, 2020 -added appointment for License renewals, and Real ID & Enhanced Drivers License upgrades
Beginning July 8, 2020 - Accepting Vehicle Registration Appointments
- Learner’s Permit (Class D)
- Motorcycle Permit Test (Class M)
- Commercial Drivers Permit Test (CDL)
Change Out of State License to NYS license:
Non Driver Identification Card: 1st Time Applicant
Name Change on Driver’s License : Bring original or certified copy of marriage / divorce / court order
Commercial Drivers License Renewal: Bring Proof of Citizenship
Non Commercial Drivers License, Permit & Non Driver ID Cards Renewals
Real ID or Enhanced Drivers License, Permit & Non Driver ID Cards Applicants
Real ID or Enhanced License ID REQUIREMENTS
Restricted or Conditional License
Vehicle Registration: can make an appointment online or use mail or drop off service- see information below for instructions to register a vehicle & to make an appointment
- Renewals - renew vehicle, boat, trailer, ATV, snowmobile registrations in your name that have not been expired for more than 1 year. Complete MV82 form or submit your registration renewal form. Up to 5 transaction per appointment
- Originals: new vehicle, boat, trailer, ATV, snowmobile being registered to you for the 1st time or registration has been expired for over 1 year. Plate transfer or issuance. Up to 2 transactions per appointment
go to DMV.ny.gov for a list of required documents
Before making an online appointment be sure to read the following:
- Be on time for your appointment, late arrivals will need to reschedule
- Upon arrival at the County Office Building go to security desk inside the front door
- Must have all documents needed to process your transaction; go to DMV.ny.gov to find instruction and identification requirements before you come in.
- You will be required to make a new appointment if we cannot process your transaction due to insufficient documentation.
- Until further notice we will not be processing new Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) applications. (renewals can be done by mail)
- Real ID requirement for domestic travel has been extended until October 2021
- Road Tests: go to dmv.ny.gov to make an appointment
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT GO TO setmore.com
For other DMV transactions:
- MAIL TO: Cayuga County DMV, 160 Genesee St, Auburn NY 13021
- DROP OFF: place in locked bin in front of the Cayuga County Office Building between 8:30am -3:30pm
- Plate Surrenders: $1.00 cash fee and include current address for receipt
- Monday - Friday between 8:30 m and 3:30pm
- Include copy of driver’s license
- Name and phone number
- Completed & signed documents
- You will receive a call if there are questions about your transactions
NOTE: ALL WORK WILL BE PROCESSED IN THE ORDER THAT WE RECEIVE IT.
TEMPORARY PROCESS FOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION:
- registering a new vehicle with new plates or plate transfer
- re-registering a vehicle with new plates or transferring a registration
New license plates: you will be charged an additional $5.00 fee to cover cost of postage.
- Credit Card will be charged separate postage fee & $1 processing fee
- Include a separate check for $5.00 payable to Cayuga County Clerk
- Prepaid UPS or FedEx envelope.
When you call the DMV public phone at 315-253-1241 you will hear a message that includes instructions, options and resources. You will not be given the option to speak to staff or to leave a voicemail.
Albany Call Center: 518 486-9786
Expired licenses after March 1, 2020 have been extended by the Governor until the Department of Motor Vehicles Is open to the public. In the interim, you may mail your renewal to our office at 160 Genesee Street, Auburn, NY 13021. Please provide payment using a check made payable to “The Cayuga County Clerk”. Your eye test may be done by your eye doctor or through a participating pharmacy. Please ensure that if done by an eye doctor, you include the completed MV-619 vision report with your renewal.
And remember, if you use our local DMV office, 12.7% of every transaction stays in the County.
Thank you for your business, and please share this information with your family and friends!
We appreciate everyone’s patience during this time and assure you that the remaining staff in the DMV is hard at work processing work for the public.
Sincerely, Sue Dwyer Cayuga County Clerk
Expiration dates have been extended as follows with no penalty for late renewals!
License Renewal OPTION 1- YOU CAN WAIT UNTIL Executive Order Expires: The Governor’s Executive Order has extended the following transactions through June 6, 2020: Expiration date for driver’s licenses and non-driver’s ID cards that expire on or after March 1, 2020 have been extended and the expiration date for the registrations of motor vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and ATV’s that expire on or after March 1, 2020 will be valid through June 6, 2020.
OPTION 2- You can renew now, go online to process your transactions. Just remember that in doing so none of your money stays in Cayuga County—it all goes to the state. NOTE: If you decide to create an online MyDMV account, you will no longer receive paper reminders; you will get email alerts. And make sure that you have the official DMV website—there are many fake ones out there!!
VEHICLE INSPECTIONS Extended: A further executive order on 3/27/2020 extended the validity of all vehicle safety inspections expiring from the date of the order through May 15, 2020.
County Clerks are also agents for the New York State Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Cayuga County has a full service DMV office where our friendly and dedicated staff can quickly and efficiently serve you. We value and appreciate your business.
We encourage you to use your local office because the County keeps 12.7% of every transaction done in our office, either in person or if you mail it to us (at 160 Genesee Street in Auburn, New York 13021). This helps to reduce your county tax levy.
Permits & Commercial Driver Licenses
Tests for permits and commercial driver licences will be administered daily (Monday through Friday) up to one hour prior to the close of the business day.
Check out the programs available through the DMV.
To make an appointment to: Take permit test Surrender Out of State License Apply for Non Drivers Identification Card Name Change on Drivers License
Review the New York State requirements for child safety restraints.
Find information about obtaining a Commercial Drivers License.
Read information on Enhanced Drivers Licenses.
Get information about Learner's Permits, Drivers Licenses, and Non-Driver Identification cards.
Check out helpful information and resources for moving to New York and how to update your drivers license and vehicle registration.
View Registration Information, including fee schedules and information on registering boards, snowmobiles, and other vehicles.
Download required sales tax forms in use for New York State.