Victim Rights

Your Right to Information

A crime victim or family member can request notification of important judicial proceedings, including trials, sentencing and parole. Be sure to keep the District Attorney informed of your current address and phone number.

Your Right to Request an Order of Protection

Crime victims have the right to be protected from further abuse, harassment and intimidation. To protect you, a court can issue a document known as an Order of Protection, which can order the accused to do certain things, such as staying away from you. Also, violating the court's order by intimidating a witness may be grounds for an additional felony level charge.

Your Right to Submit a Victims Impact Statement

If the defendant is being sentenced for a crime, you have the right to speak out at sentencing. You can provide a written statement and/or oral testimony about the impact that the crime has had on your life. An investigation prepared by the probation department may also contain your version of the offense. The District Attorney can assist you with this.

Your Right to Recover Property

You have the right to reclaim stolen property, unless it must be held as evidence.

Your Right to Request Restitution

Restitution is the actual out-of-pocket losses stemming from a crime. The District Attorney's Office can present your request to the court, and the judge may order the criminal to pay restitution. You need to provide the District Attorney with the appropriate documentation. Losses may include:

  • Damaged property
  • Funeral bills
  • Lost wages
  • Medical expenses

Your Right to Compensation

The New York State Office of Victim Services may be able to assist you in getting reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses caused by a violent crime, but not recovered through restitution. A claim form can be obtained from the District Attorney's office, and should be submitted within one year of the crime.

More Information

For more information, email Jennifer Troy, our Victim/Witness Coordinator.