- Planning & Economic Development
- Agricultural & Farmland Protection
- Agriculture & Farmland Protection Board
Agriculture & Farmland Protection Board
The Cayuga County Agriculture & Farmland Protection Board (AFPB) was established by the Cayuga County Legislature in accordance with Article 25AA §302 of NYS Agriculture and Markets Law. The purpose of the AFPB is to:
- Encourage farming and agricultural businesses in Cayuga County through local initiatives which create favorable conditions that allow farmers and related agri-business enterprises to operate economically viable enterprises;
- Advise the Cayuga County Legislature on establishing, modifying, continuing, or terminating agricultural districts;
- Review Notice of Intent filings pursuant to Agriculture and Markets Law 25AA §305.4 and §305-a;
- Advise and recommend concerning Purchase of Development Rights conservation easement applications to funding agencies; and
- Advise, Recommend, Develop, Maintain and Implement a Cayuga County Agriculture and Farmland Protection Plan.
The AFPB consists of eleven members, identified as either Regular or Ex-Officio, nominated by the AFPB and appointed by the Cayuga County Legislature; and includes at least: four active farmers, one agribusiness representative, one member of the County Legislature, a representative from the Cayuga County Soil & Water Conservation District, the Director of the County's Department of Planning & Economic Development, the Director of the County's Real Property Services Office, a Cornell Cooperative Extension Agriculture Educator; and may also include an agricultural land trust representative. The Cayuga County Department of Planning & Economic Development currently provides staff assistance to the AFPB for administrative matters.
The current bylaws for the Cayuga County AFPB can be viewed here.
All correspondence for the Cayuga County Agriculture & Farmland Protection Board (AFPB) should be directed to the Cayuga County Department of Planning & Economic Development to the attention of Kari Terwilliger, Senior Planner.